Facilities & Departments
Ophthalmos Research and Educational Institute specializes in eye care. The building is located in the capital of Cyprus island, in Nicosia.
Location of clinic
The Ophthalmos Research and Educational Institute is located in Makedonitissa, in a very important thoroughfare. From the Kolocassides roundabout exit to Anthoupoli you can meet three significant buildings. First, the Institute of Genetics and Neurology, second is the University of Nicosia and third, the Ophthalmos Research and Educational Institute. From an architectural point of view, the designed building by Fereos architect became a landmark structure, having its own unique identity, thus making it a point of reference.
Building, premises, technology and goals of the Ophthalmos Research and Educational Institute
- New modern building, in an area of 2500 square meters
- Latest technology in diagnostic scans, optometry and orthoptics.
- Latest technology in the two operating theaters
- Modern laser refractive surgery for treatment of Myopia, Hyperopia, Astigmatism and Presbyopia
- Small cataract incision 1.8mm
- Providing exceptional clinical care
- Conducting clinical research in Ophthalmology
- Teaching today’s and tomorrow’s medical community
- Continuous eye care quality improvement
- Patients enjoy a welcoming reception in a well arranged spacious lobby
- Comfortable waiting areas for patients and families
- Modern cafeteria for free drinks
- Free Internet access
- Visitor’s free parking
The clinic employs more than 40 staff members. The health professionals who provide services at Ophthalmos Research and Educational Institute work together in close collaboration, enabling both a multidisciplinary and personalized ophthalmological approach. They also maintain and increase their level of competency through ongoing professional development. With the sense of professional ethics keep on the continuous upgrading of skills and competencies, innovation, compassion, respect and commitment to offering high-quality personalized services to the patients.
The Ophthalmos Research and Educational Institute is a center of excellence in ophthalmology, performing the entire spectrum of diagnostic, therapeutic and surgery procedures for adults and children.
Department of Ophthalmologic Surgery
Head of the Department: Dr. Tasos Georgiou
The Department of Ophthalmic Surgery performs the latest surgical procedures for eyes diseases involving cataract, myopia, retina, etc. The 2 operating rooms are fully equipped with the most up-to-date surgical and perfusion equipment. The latest surgical procedures include e.g.:
- Small incision cataract 1.8mm
- Laser Refractive surgery -new generation of refractive correction to eye sight. Intralase Lasik Laser for the treatment of myopia, hypermetropia, astigmatism and presbyopia.
- “IntraLase-Enabled Keratoplasty” – used to create corneal incisions for full-thickness corneal transplants
- Vitrectomy for retinal detachment: Small incisions are made into the wall on the outer part of the eye to allow the introduction of instruments into the vitreous cavity, the middle of the eyeball, in order for the vitreous to be removed followed by the re-attachment of the retina.
Department of Optometrists (Ophthalmic Opticians)
Head of the Department: Alex Alexandrou BSc (Hons) MCOptom FBDO
Services offered include:
- Responsible for many aspects of vision care.
- Diagnostic refraction service for adults and children.
- Low visual aids for patients with reduced vision
- Special contact lenses for patients with eye diseases
Department of Orthoptists
Head of the Department: Despina Nicolaou
The Orthoptic department specialises:
- Detection and evaluation of eye muscle abnormalities (strabismus).
- Investigation of strabismus and eye movement disorders
- Providing all the required measurements and information for accurately treating patients with squint
Department of Diagnostics Tests
Head of the Department: Dr. Tasos Georgiou
The Ophthalmos Research and Educational Institute offers the following Diagnostics Tests:
The SPECTRALIS HRA + OCT delivers the ultimate in retinal imaging. Multi-modality imaging offers deep insights into structure, function and metabolic activity of the retina. Unique simultaneous digital fluorescein angiography and Indocyanine Green Angiography images with 3-dimentional resolution improve the diagnosis of retinal and choroidal pathologies.
The Spectralis anterior segment module captures simultaneous OCT and infrared scan providing a detail 3-dimentional view of the anterior chamber.
When applying the technology to glaucoma (HRT) it takes 3-dimentional tomography images of the optic nerve and RNFL retina layers aligns the images and computes a 3-dimentional topography map of the surface of the retina. The HEP perimetry data can directly link to HRT optic disk analysis and together with fovea thickness can combine structure function analysis. This is the most advance technology of glaucoma analysis.
Department of Administration
Head of the Department: Akis Ioannou
The Administrative Department is vital for the functioning of the clinic.
They are responsible for:
- Outpatient and inpatient appointments
- Patient Data Tracking System
- Information Technology
- Medical Records
- Technician and cleaning service
- Management and organization of the services
- Personnel continually trained and development to follow the set standards of high quality.
Monday to Friday: 08:00-20:00
Tel: +357 22464344